Canadian Boating Regulations and Reporting Requirements - By Big Orange Filter

Canadian Boating Regulations and Reporting Requirements - By Big Orange Filter

Canada, renowned for its diverse landscapes and expansive waters, has stringent boating laws and regulations that are crucial for anyone navigating its waters. This comprehensive guide covers everything from age restrictions to reporting procedures for those venturing into Canadian waters.

Canada Boating Laws & Age Restrictions

For recreational purposes in Canadian waters, specific age and horsepower restrictions apply to anyone operating a pleasure craft:

  1. Persons under 12 years:

    • Can only operate a boat propelled by a motor of no more than 10 hp (7.5 kW) and must be supervised by someone at least 16 years old.
  1. Persons aged 12 to under 16 years:

    • Can only operate a boat with a motor up to 40 hp (30 kW) unless supervised by someone at least 16 years old.
  1. Personal Watercraft (PWC):

    • Only those who are at least 16 years old can operate a PWC without supervision.

It's important to note that these age restrictions are not applicable in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.

Proof of Competency

Operating a pleasure craft with a motor in Canada requires the operator to carry proof of competency on board. This includes boats with electric trolling motors. Not carrying the necessary Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC) can result in fines. Acceptable proof includes:

  • A PCOC received after passing a boating safety course approved by the Department of Transport.
  • Proof of passing a boating safety course in Canada before April 1, 1999.
  • A certificate from the List of Certificates approved by the Department of Transport.
  • A completed safety checklist for a rented boat (only valid during the rental period).

Exceptions are made for individuals operating in the Northwest Territories or Nunavut.

Enforcement & Penalties

Boating laws in Canada are enforced by various authorities, including the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, provincial and municipal police forces, and other local entities. If required to have a PCOC, operators must have it on board and readily available for inspection by enforcement officers. Failing to carry a PCOC can lead to fines.


All provinces, territories, and states with mandatory boater education requirements recognize the PCOC. Canada also accepts boating education cards from states that meet NASBLA requirements.

Reporting Requirements for Private Boat Operators

For private boaters in Canadian waters or those aiming to enter Canada via boat, there are particular reporting requirements.

Reporting Exceptions:

  • Foreign national boaters: You don't need to report to the CBSA if you don't land on Canadian soil or anchor/moor in Canadian waters and don't embark/disembark people or goods in Canada. However, if these actions are taken, immediate reporting to CBSA is essential.

  • Canadian boaters returning: No reporting is needed if you didn't land outside of Canada, anchor, moor, or make contact outside of Canadian waters or embark/disembark any individuals or goods.

Reporting Options:

Operators entering Canadian waters intending to disembark should report to the CBSA. Two reporting methods are available for vessels carrying fewer than 30 passengers:

  1. Telephone Reporting centre
  2. Direct reporting sites for marine private vessels

Making a Report:

Only the boat operator can report to CBSA. Information required includes reasons for the trip, passenger information, goods to declare, and pertinent identification. If any restricted or prohibited goods like firearms, food, plants, animals, explosives, fireworks, ammunition, and certain forms of cannabis are onboard, they must be declared. Failure can result in criminal charges.

CBSA Report Number & Secondary Inspection:

Upon assessment, a border services officer may require further verification or provide a report number. For secondary inspections, passengers and goods must remain on board.

Penalties for Non-compliance:

Active monitoring of Canadian waters is done by CBSA and its partners. Non-compliance can lead to boat detention, forfeiture, and fines. The minimum fine for not reporting to CBSA is CAN$1,000. This failure might also affect future entries into Canada. Foreign nationals providing false information can be denied entry and future returns.


Anyone penalized can appeal by submitting a written document to the CBSA's Recourse Directorate within 90 days of the penalty.

NEXUS Program:

The NEXUS program enables faster processing. NEXUS members must call the reporting number between 30 minutes to four hours before arrival. Everyone on board should be NEXUS members to use its reporting procedures.

Boating Events:

For international boating events, coordinators should contact their local CBSA office well in advance.

Contact Details:

  • Telephone Reporting Centre: Toll-free: 1-888-226-7277
  • NEXUS Reporting Line: Toll-free: 1-866-99-NEXUS (1-866-996-3987)
  • Border Information Services: Toll-free: 1-800-461-9999

In conclusion, when boating in Canada, it's crucial to familiarize oneself with these laws, restrictions, and reporting requirements to ensure a smooth and enjoyable experience.

Head over to our Shop Page to see a full list of our products