Boat storage refers to the process of keeping a boat in a secure location when it is not in use. Many people consider boat storage to protect it from the harsh winter, and unwanted elements. When it comes to choosing the type of storage, every boat owner would want to keep his asset behind his house or in the vicinity, but that may not be possible in some cases because the boat may be too big, the depth of water level may not be at par, or there can be multiple other reasons. Whatever may be the reason, we have brought you some definite and result-worthy ways by which you can store your boat and keep it safe. So, let’s get started!
Different Storage Spaces That Can Be Used To Store Your Boat
There are several options for boat storage, including indoor, outdoor as well as on-property storage. Let us see each one of them.
1) Indoor Storage: The indoor storage facilities are often safe and these provide protection from harsh elements. This can be a great option for boats that are not used frequently or for those located in areas with extreme weather conditions. Dry stacked storage, warehouse, garage storage, enclosed self storage units, etc these are the indoor storage spaces for your boat.
2)Outdoor Storage: Outdoor storage spaces are another option that boat owners can prefer to store their boats. These often include open spaces which have large areas and can accommodate boats of various sizes. Driveways, outdoor self-storage parking spots, marina slips, lift slips, etc these are outdoor storage spaces for your boat storage.
3)On-property Storage: This storage option is for those boat owners who have enough space to store their boat on their own property. This can be a convenient option for those who use their boat frequently, as it allows them to easily access the boat when needed. However, it is important to ensure that the boat is stored in a secure location and is protected from the outside elements. Garage, shed, personal boat dock are the on-property storage options for your boat storage and protection.
In addition to these options, boat owners may also be able to store their boat in a marina or on a boat lift. Marinas often have storage spaces available for boats, and boat lifts can be used to keep a boat out of the water when it is not in use.
Regardless of the storage option chosen, it is important to carefully consider the location and security of the storage facility, as well as any additional amenities or services that may be available. While considering storing the boat, also make sure you take care of the foul smell that may emit from the boats while not in use. To prevent the emission of smell, contact the Big Orange team.
Prerequisites Before Storing A Boat In The Storage Area
Here are some important tips which you must look into before keeping your boat into storage spaces.
- When driving up to the marina facility or the storage facility, make sure the area is properly cleaned and landscaped.
- All the security procedures and measures should be well maintained. Must check all the loopholes in terms of security beforehand while handling your vessel.
- When any mishap takes place, ensure that the storage area is peril proof so that your boat stays safe and sound for a long time span.
- Security cameras should be installed in the area to keep an eagle eye on your valuable asset.
- Clear away all the perishables from the boat and wash it thoroughly. Don't forget to drain the bilge. If you are considering storing it for a longer time period, then make sure the fuel should be drained away or it is less in quantity in the fuel tank.
- For a longer period of time, the boat starts emanating a foul smell from the washroom area. You can install a Big Orange filter to avoid this smell or if you want any installation tips then you can directly reach out to the Big Orange team.
Disadvantages Of Not Storing Your Boat
In case you forget to store your boat, here are some consequences you may have to experience. So, let’s see.
- Damage to the boat: Without proper storage, a boat can be exposed to the elements, which can lead to damage. The sun can cause the boat's paint to fade or crack, and the wind and rain can cause the boat to become dirty and covered in debris.
- Damage to the boat's equipment: If the boat is not stored properly, the equipment can also be damaged. The outboard motor, for example, can rust or become damaged if it is not covered or stored in a dry place.
- Increased maintenance costs: Without proper storage, you may require more frequent maintenance to keep it in good working order. This can increase the overall cost of owning the boat.
- Reduced resale value: If the boat is not taken care of, it may not be in a good condition to put it in the market for sales. This can drastically reduce the boat's resale value.
- Safety concerns: Your boat may be more prone to accidents or theft if not kept safe. For example, a boat left on a trailer in an unprotected area is more likely to be stolen or get damaged by vandals.
However, if you follow the above given points, your boat will stay in an upright condition. It will be ready to use instantly when the boating season begins.
Big Orange team knows how to cater to the boat owners, so contact them for the purpose of your boat.
How to take care of different boat equipment?
There are many different types of equipment that can be found on a boat, and all the equipments should be taken care of carefully and meticulously.
- Navigation equipment: This includes items such as a compass, GPS, chart plotter, radar, and depth finder, which help the boat's operator navigate and avoid hazards. Use a proprietary cover that could cover the console for the electronics from unwanted elements.
- Safety equipment: This includes items such as life jackets, flare guns, fire extinguishers, and first aid kits, which are essential for the safety of the boat's occupants in case of an emergency. As discussed, they are highly important for a life, so these should be covered with a waterproof plastic sheet if you are parking your vessel for a long term.
- Anchoring equipment: This includes items such as anchors, chains, and lines, which are used to secure the boat in place when it is moored or anchored. Do ensure before parking that these things should stay away from moisture or water otherwise they get rusted in no time.
- Propulsion and steering equipment: This includes items such as the propeller, rudder, and engine, which are used to move the boat and steer it in the desired direction. Use prop guard or propeller guard for the safety of propellers, you can use silicone spray to protect the engine parts of the boat before parking your boat in a storage space.
- Electrical and electronic equipment: This includes items such as batteries, generators, and navigation lights, which are used to power and light the boat. These parts should be well ventilated in case of mishap, all the batteries should be well cleaned before placing and appropriate cleaners should be used. To avoid filthy smell from your boat, you can use a Big Orange filter.
By following these steps, you can ensure that your boat and its equipments are well-maintained and ready for use when the season commences. When it comes to preparing your boat for winter season, do not forget to get rid of the foul smell that emanates from the boat. The Big Orange Filter is here to help you in this regard. The Big Orange Filter is easy- to-install, pocket-friendly, and efficient.